Thursday 2 February 2012

What If?

When we think about it, “What if?” is a question that plagues many of us. What if I don't find a job?--How we will pay our bills? What if I fail?--What will people think of me? What if my child doesn't survive?--I couldn't make it another day. What if I don't make it through this year?--What if...?

I would venture to say that all of us have struggled with these “What if” questions in life. Its human nature to worry about our circumstances and hope for a good outcome; no matter what we are facing. Today, I am reflecting on the loss of missionaries John and Wanda Casias this Wednesday (2/1) who served in Nuevo Leon, Mexico.

When John and Wanda surrendered to serve in Mexico over 30 years ago, do you think they faced some of these “What if” questions? I'm sure they did. Just as many do, if not all, who choose to serve the Lord at home and abroad. What if they don't like me? What if they don't receive my message? What if my family is harmed? What if I am killed?


As a missionary, these thoughts have begun to cross my mind. Could this happen to me? What about our friends and family who are serving abroad, specifically in Mexico and Latin America? Are their lives at risk too? The answer is yes. You see, John and Wanda joined the ranks of faithful servants who continued to the end; even to the point of death. Their names join the list of other servants of God such as: Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Roger Youderian, Ed McCully, and Pete Fleming.

What prepared these servants to face death such as they did? I believe it was because of such a total and committed focus on Heaven and glorifying God, rather than living for self and earthly things. Their minds were “set on things above...not on things of the earth.”

I was reminded today of a very pertinent passage in Hebrews 11. Consider these words:

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
--Hebrews 11:13-16 (emphasis added)

So, as we reflect on those who have gone on before us and face these “What if” questions in life...let me remind us all that we too seek a country; a better country; one that is heavenly. I believe these dear servants who gave their lives realized this. May we all seek to live for that city to come. May God grant to us the grace to live a Philippians 1:21 life, no matter the cost; a life that is God-glorifying, Heavenly focused, serving Him...because, that's all that matters.

1 comment: