Tuesday 1 May 2012

Getting EVEN Closer!

So, there I was...sweaty palms, beating heart, and a hint of nervous shaking in my speech. This was it! This was the culmination of much anticipation, prayer, and a little uncertainty. No, I wasn't meeting the president or being interviewed on tv...I was finally meeting with the board of IBMGlobal! I had the opportunity to formally share my desire and burden to serve in Guatemala with them. After answering several questions and, in a sense, being "grilled," I was asked to leave the room. A few minutes later, I was called to return. I took my seat and our director read to me the formal acceptance statement. I, Jay Brown, was formally installed as an appointee to Peten, Guatemala with IBMGlobal! What a joyous moment! I had be tough, though, and I might have held back some tears. But, there was great emotion as this step of progress was made, by the grace of God.
I am thankful to say that I am formally part of the IBMGlobal Missions family.

 This was just a great finish to a wonderful week of candidate school. It was such a blessing be part of the conference that took place. Our speakers shared theological implications of missions service, practical experience, and personal advice. I don't think I could have asked for a better week of "preparation." But in all honesty, it only revealed to me that you cannot be fully "prepared." There is still much to learn and I will be learning for the rest of my life!
It was also a great blessing to meet many dear friends who are also part of this "family."

 The thing that the Lord impressed upon my heart the most was the weight of what's at stake. In essence, this week helped me to see that I need to rid myself of any "romantic" view of missions that I may have. I'm not leaving the comforts of home and family to go trek through the jungle, see beautiful sights and eat peculiar foods. If I wanted that job, I would join National Geographic! I am a God-called Gospel-bearer who is accountable to the Great Commission. My purpose is to make disciples and advance the Church. And, it is my prayer that I would remain faithful to that calling. I would love to share more with you about candidate school and IBMGlobal.

 Feel free to email me at jay.brown.guatemala@gmail.com

  Interesting event of the trip: My return flight to Florida took me from Manchester, NH to Detroit, MI to Atlanta, GA, to Jax, FL. Needless to say, it was a long day of travel. But, an interesting event made up for the long airport day. In the Detroit airport, I was sitting there eating my dinner. As I was munching on my sub, a familiar face walked by. To me, it looked like Deborah from Everybody Loves Raymond. I wasn't sure, so I took a double look. (By this time, I probably looked like some creepy airport stalker). Well, I saw her go sit down at an adjacent restaurant. As I finished my dinner, I walked by to see where she was sitting. I thought, "I can't bother her. That's just rude." But a second later I thought, "I'll never see her again. I've gotta speak to her." Well, I went up to her and said, "You're Deborah from Everybody Lov(she finished my sentence)." I said, "I'm so sorry, I don't know your real name!" "My name is Patricia Heaton." She was super nice! And she was willing to sign an autograph in my little notebook: "To Jay; Best Wishes; Patricia Heaton." Well, it was a nice meeting and it made up for my long day of travel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment